Best Cordless Drill 2020 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Hi there. Welcome, everyone. After writing review articles on some DIY tools like hammer drills, impact drivers, nailguns, & jigsaws, today I am going to write about the top 15 best cordless drills, which is also a must-have tool for both hobbyists and a DIYer. You may think why I haven’t written about the corded drills, the answer is simple, people are looking for cordless or wireless in almost every tool or device because we don’t want that disturbing wire in between our work. Also, batteries are strong and work very well nowadays.
I know it is a little bit confusing to select the top cordless drill because of many factors like:
- What type is best for me: Impact Driver, Screw gun, Screwdriver, Hammer Drill or Right Angle Drill?
- Lithium or NiCad Batteries?
- Brush or Brushless Motors?
- 18V or 20V?
- What is torque & dual speed?
- Is it comfortable in my hand?
- And much more confusion…
Don’t worry about these terms because you will get everything about these drills. I have made a comparison table, features, pros & cons, Q&A, and Buyer’s Guide at last for these cordless drills.
ALSO, CHECK MY INFOGRAPHIC ON ” HOW TO USE A CORDLESS DRILL ” HERE
Article Summary Table
- Top-Rated Cordless Drills Comparison Table
- The Best Cordless Drill In 2020
- 1. Dewalt DC970K-2 – Best 18 V Cordless Drill | Top Pick
- 2. Black & Decker LDX120C – Best 20V Cordless Drill For Home Tasks
- 3. Dewalt DCD771C2 – Best 20 V Cordless Drill | Recommended
- 4. Bosch PS31-2A Cordless Drill – Best for Electrician & Plumber
- PROS AND CONS:
- 5. Dewalt DCK240C2 – Best Combo Drill Kit
- 6. Milwaukee M12 2407-20 – Best Cordless Drill For The Price
- 7. Porter-Cable PCC606LA Cordless Drill – Longer Battery Life
- 8. Black & Decker BDC120VA100 Cordless Drill – Best Accessory Kit
- 9. Hitachi DS18DGL Cordless Drill – Best For Hitachi Lovers
- 10. Skil DL527502 – Top Cordless Drill From Skil
- Cordless Drill 2020 – Buyer’s Guide
Top-Rated Cordless Drills Comparison Table
Last update on 2020-09-23 at 09:00 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
NOTE: Dewalt & Porter Cable do not provide torque data because they believe it doesn’t correctly convey power, so they use UWO ( Unit Power Out ) to measure it.
The Best Cordless Drill In 2020
1. Dewalt DC970K-2 – Best 18 V Cordless Drill | Top Pick
If you are looking for a popular 18-volt powerful cordless drill then this is the best tool for you.
This 4.7 lbs Dewalt DC970K-2 cordless drill is ruling over all the 18-volt drills for a long period of time. It comes with a powerful motor that generates 380 unit watts out ( UWO ) power or torque. The motor is powered by its 1.2-Ah battery, which comes with this tool.
The three things which I like and definitely you too will also like the most are:
- Dual speed range ( 0 to 450 and 0 to 1500 rpm ).
- Comes with two 18-volt NiCAD batteries, a 1-hour charger, and a bag.
- Its slow start feature, which will help you to put in the screw without damaging the material.
Lower speed range, i.e. 0-450 helps you to get the drilling efficiency while higher speed range, i.e 0-1500 helps you to get quick results. That is why it gives you optimal performance.
Well, I said I like that it contains two batteries but I do not like these two batteries because it is a NiCAD battery, not Lithium-ion. NiCAD batteries are not considered as most reliable. Their performance usually goes down after some time. Maybe, Dewalt company does not want to increase its price, that’s why no Lithion-ion is used.
For the tighter bit grip, it has a 1/2-inch single sleeve keyless chuck with ratcheting motion. So, don’t worry about the fitting of drill bits, this tool accepts all bits. Also, no headache of losing a chuck key because it holds the bit tightly even at higher torque speed.
Everyone knows, Dewalt is very good in terms of the warranty. It comes with:
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- 1-Year Free Service
- 3-Year Limited Warranty on both tool and battery.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. It has a dual speed range feature.||1. Short battery life ( Uses Ni-Cd battery ).|
|2. Single sleeve ratcheting chuck for better bit grip.||2. Becomes a little bit heavy when its battery is installed.|
|3. Powerful motor produces 380 UWO.||3. No LED lights.|
|4. Comes with slow start feature.|
|5. Includes 2 batteries.|
|6. Fast charging.|
2. Black & Decker LDX120C – Best 20V Cordless Drill For Home TasksThis is best for those who are looking for a cordless drill for their home, in other words, for smaller DIY jobs. Not recommended for professionals.
This 3.2 lbs Black & Decker LDX120C is a 20-volt cordless drill that comes with 650 RPM motor which produces a torque up to 115 in-lbs ( 13 Nm ) which is good enough for smaller jobs. It can do both drilling and screw-driving tasks easily.
The two things which I like the most about this tool are:
- It comes with a Lithium-ion battery ( for less weight & fade-free power ), not NiCAD.
- It is very compact ( 10.6 x 3.7 x 8.5 inches ) and light-weight, making it easy to drill or screw in tight spaces.
You get a longer battery life due to this Lithium-ion technology. It can store charge for up to 2.5 years and also, it takes only 1~2 hours to charge.
Its grip is made up of an anti-slip material so that you can handle it comfortably. Also, it reduces the sweating in your hands.
This tool has also a slow start feature or you can say variable speed feature which helps you to put in the screw without damaging the material.
You can do accurate drilling on the spot with the help of its LED working lights, thus, reducing the chance of error.
Its 11 position clutch feature will prevent the screws from stripping, also provides control while drilling into wood or any other material.
It comes with 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Light-weight and compact.||1. No dual speed range.|
|2. LED working light is present.||2. Torque is not good for heavy use.|
|3. A lithium-ion battery is used.||3. It is a little bit difficult to tighten the chuck.|
|4. A charger and a double end bit are also included.|
|5. Variable speed feature.|
|6. It has 11 position clutch.|
|7. Anti-slip material is used in the grip.|
|8. Fast charging.|
3. Dewalt DCD771C2 – Best 20 V Cordless Drill | Recommended
If you are a professional and looking for a 20-volt cordless drill then this tool is best for you.
This 3.6 lbs Dewalt DCD771C2 cordless drill comes with a powerful motor which has dual speed feature, i.e. 0~450 and 0~1500 RPM and it generates 300 Unit Watts Out ( UWO ) power or torque.
The three things which I like the most are:
- It comes with two 1.3 Ah Lithium-ion batteries,
- 2 different speeds with 15 settings for optimal performance, &
- Smart LED working light for accurate drilling. Smart, because light stays for 20 seconds even after releasing the trigger. This feature ensures that the work is done correctly.
These two batteries are of 20-volts each, which takes approx half an hour to charge. So, no need to stop your work due to battery discharge unless you are like me and forget to plug the second battery in :)))) So, don’t forget to charge the second battery while working with the first one.
It has a half-inch single sleeve chuck that helps us to tight it by one hand. This chuck has ratcheting motion which increases the gripping tension as the rotational force increases. In simple words, it holds the bit tightly even at the higher torque speed.
Also, it has a well-designed handle with an excellent rubber grip which is very comfortable to use.
It comes with:
- 90-Days Money Back Guarantee,
- 1-Year of Free Service, &
- 3-Years of Limited Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Dual speed range feature.||1. Not so good for heavy-duty tasks.|
|2. Single sleeve ratcheting chuck for better bit grip.||2. No bit holder.|
|3. Very good torque at low speed.|
|4. The LED light stays for 20 seconds even after releasing the trigger.|
|5. Includes 2 Lithium-ion batteries, a charger & a carrying case.|
|6. Fast charging ( 30~40 minutes ).|
|7. Well designed handle and comfortable grip.|
4. Bosch PS31-2A Cordless Drill – Best for Electrician & PlumberIf you are an electrician, plumber or a DIY-er and looking for a smaller package, bigger power cordless drill, then this tool is perfect for you.
This 2.1 lbs Bosch PS31-2A is the lightest cordless drill that comes with a dual-speed range motor, i.e. 0~350 and 0~1300 RPM. This motor generates 30 Nm ( 265 in.-lbs. ) power or torque. Also, it has a 20-plus-one torque setting which prevents the screw from stripping, making it accurate for drilling or screw-driving.
Why Bosch PS31-2A is best for electricians or plumbers?
- Because it can fit into any tight areas due to its small size ( 7-inch length and 2.5-inch wide ).
- Lots of power in comparison to the weight and size of this tool, making the perfect performance-to-weight ratio for the electricians or plumbers.
- The motor is powered by a 2 Ah, 12-volts lithium-ion battery.
- Usually, they work in a place where light is low, so LED lights of this tool will help them.
The things which impressed me are:
- Its fuel gauge. With the help of fuel gauge, you can easily keep track of how much energy is left in the battery. Due to this, you will not face any difficulties while managing the battery because the fuel gauge is located on the side of this tool.
- We can change the rotation from forward to reverse & vice-versa.
- We can change its speed without stopping it, i.e. speed change in running condition feature.
- Bosch has also taken care of cell protection for longer life. It has an ECP ( Electronic Cell Protection ) feature which protects this tool from overheating.
It comes with:
- 3-Year Tool Warranty, &
- 2-Years Battery Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. It is the lightest drill and also very compact.||1. Not so good for drilling hard surface.|
|2. ECP feature for cell protection.||2. You may face difficulties while removing lengthy screws.|
|3. Comes with variable speed trigger.||3. Sometimes, chuck becomes loose.|
|4. An LED light is located in a good position, unlike others.|
|5. Includes two 12 V Lithium-ion batteries & 2 screwdriver bits.|
|6. It has a dual speed range feature.|
|7. Strong material ( Nylon & ABS ) is used for this tool.|
5. Dewalt DCK240C2 – Best Combo Drill Kit
If you are looking for a branded cordless drill & an impact driver at an affordable price then this combo is best for you.
This combo pack has:
- Dewalt DCD771 Cordless Drill, ( Not Available Right Now ) &
- DCF885 Impact Driver
Don’t worry, this combo has also two 20-volt 1.3 Ah batteries and its charger along with a strong bag. This combo is really a great deal because if you will buy all these items including batteries separately, then you will have to spend more bucks.
Let’s discuss Dewalt DCD771 drill first:
This 3.6 lbs compact drill has a powerful motor with 2 different speeds, i.e. 0 to 450 & 0-1500 RPM and it delivers 300 unit power out ( UWO ). It is supported by a 20-volt lithium-ion battery. To prevent the screws from stripping, it has a 16-clutch setting feature and to hold the bits tightly at different speeds, it has 1/2-inch single sleeve ratcheting chuck. Also, this 8.7-inch cordless drill has an LED light which will help you to work in low light areas.
Now, let’s come to the Dewalt DCF885 Impact Driver:
This 2.8 lbs ( including battery ) impact driver has a powerful motor of 3,200 IPM ( Impacts Per Minute ) which can generate torque up to 1400 in-lbs ( 158 Nm ), specially designed for toughest areas. Its motor is powered by a 20-volt lithium-ion battery. Its 1/4-inch hex chuck will help you to load it by one hand and it will use bit tips measuring 1- inch. Also, this 5.5-inch tool comes with 3 LED lights on the side of it, to help you work in low-light areas. This light stays for 20 seconds even after releasing the trigger which ensures that the work is done correctly. To make it portable, it comes with a nice belt hook.
This combo comes with:
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee,
- 1-Year Free Service, &
- 3-Year Limited Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. A powerful combo kit best for tight areas.||1. Batteries do not last long after 4~6 months of use.|
|2. Both tools are lightweight & compact.||2. The LED light on the Impact drill is located under the bit, so it is difficult to see something above it.|
|3. Powered with a 20 V lithium-ion battery.|
|4. LED lights on both tools.|
|5. Includes belt clip & a carry bag.|
|6. Dual-speed feature for the drill.|
|7. All these are available at very affordable price.|
6. Milwaukee M12 2407-20 – Best Cordless Drill For The Price
If you are looking for a cordless drill that is suitable for any home project and has longer battery life with less charging time then this is the best tool for you.
This 2.1 lbs Milwaukee M12 12 V 2407-20 3/8-inch cordless drill comes with a powerful motor with dual speed feature, i.e. 0 to 400 RPM & 0 to 1500 RPM which generates torque up to 275 in-lbs ( 31 Nm ). The motor is powered by its special 1.2 Ah, 12-volt REDLITHIUM Battery. The feature of this battery is that it runs more in a single charge and also charges fast ( within 30 minutes ).
The four things which I like in this tool are:
- It has single sleeve ratcheting chuck made up of metal, which means the tool has a tight bit grip and also very durable.
- This is controlled by Milwaukee’s Redlink Intelligence to protect you against overload.
- Its fuel gauge will help you to monitor the battery power remaining while working.
- REDLITHIUM Battery.
To easily work in dark corners or any low-light areas, it has an LED light which remains on for a few seconds after releasing the trigger. This tool is very comfortable to use due to its ergonomic design and also very portable due to its belt clip.
It is the best in terms of the warranty, i.e. it comes with a 5-Year Manufacturer Warranty.
You can buy its battery and charger here:
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Powerful torque, best for any type of home projects.||1. It doesn’t have enough power for bigger jobs ( only 12V ).|
|2. Fuel gauge for monitoring battery power.||2. Battery & charger not included ( Should not be considered as cons because this bare tool has a fair price ).|
|3. LED light for low-light areas.|
|4. Less charging time ( within 30 minutes ).|
|5. Dual-speed feature.|
|6. Comes with belt clip for better portability.|
|7. Uses its special REDLITHIUM battery ( not included with it ).|
7. Porter-Cable PCC606LA Cordless Drill – Longer Battery Life
If you are a beginner and looking for a cordless drill with the powerful battery having a longer runtime, then you can go for this tool.
This 3.5 lbs Porter-Cable PCC606LA cordless drill comes with a dual-speed powerful motor ranging from 0 to 400 RPM and 0 to 1600 RPM for optimal performance, which generates power up to 330 Unit Power Out ( UWO ). Its motor is powered by a 20-volt, 1.5 Ah lithium-ion battery which makes it power battery with longer runtime.
Two things which I like most about this drill are:
- The battery charges very quickly and it also has a longer runtime.
- You can monitor battery power remaining by seeing its fuel gauge.
- 22 torque settings.
This 8-inch ( in length ) tool is designed in such a way so that you will not feel any fatigue even after using it for a long period of time. It comes with an integrated bright LED light that makes it easier to use in low-light areas.
To prevent it from bit slip, it has a half-inch ratcheting chuck made up of metal and also, it has rubber bumpers on both sides to prevent it from any damage.
No matter, whether you are a lefty or righty, its included belt clip is suitable for both. It also includes a bit tip which is double-ended.
It is not good in terms of the warranty, i.e. comes with only 90-Day Manufacturer Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Powerful torque with 23 clutch settings.||1. Power not enough for heavy-duty jobs.|
|2. It has a fuel gauge for monitoring battery power.||2. Its chuck wobbles sometimes.|
|3. LED light for dark areas.|
|4. Less charging time & longer runtime.|
|5. Dual-speed range feature.|
|6. Comes with belt clip, suitable for both left & right-hand users.|
|7. Includes a battery, charger & a double-ended bit tip.|
8. Black & Decker BDC120VA100 Cordless Drill – Best Accessory Kit
If you are looking for a cordless drill in which you can use a variety of bits then this tool is best for you because it comes with a 103-piece accessory kit.
This 3.4 lbs Black & Decker Cordless Drill comes with a motor of 750 RPM which generates a torque up to 300 in-lbs ( 34 Nm ). This motor is powered by a 20-volt lithium-ion battery and it can hold the charge up to 1.5 years. The battery takes 2~3 hours to charge, which is okay for normal home projects ( not suitable for professionals ).
Two things which I like the most in this tool are:
- Of course, its 103-piece accessory kit, &
- The 24-position clutch setting for tight bit-grip, even at different speeds.
103 accessories which come with Black & Decker BDC120VA100 are:
It comes with 2-Year Of Limited Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Powerful torque ( 34 Nm/300 in-lbs ).||1. It doesn’t have enough power for heavy-duty jobs.|
|2. 103 accessories to fulfill approx all types of needs.||2. No dual-speed feature.|
|3. A standard 3/8-inch keyless chuck.||3. The storage compartment is not good.|
|4. Holds charge up to 1.5 years.||4. No LED lights.|
|5. 24-position clutch settings.|
|6. Comfortable grip reduces fatigue.|
9. Hitachi DS18DGL Cordless Drill – Best For Hitachi LoversIf you are a Hitachi fan and looking for a best Hitachi cordless drill with a lifetime warranty then this tool is great for you.
This 3.7 lbs Hitachi DS18DGL cordless drill comes with a motor with dual speed gear setting feature, i.e. 0 to 450 RPM & 0 to 1250 RPM, which produces a powerful torque of 400 in-lbs ( 45.2 Nm ). The motor is powered by an 18-volt lithium-ion battery ( 2 pieces included ).
Four things which I like the most about this tool are:
- Its LED light is on the drill base which is pointed upwards. This feature eliminates the shadow problem which we face while drilling in low-light areas.
- It has twenty-two torque settings which are used for driving purpose and one drill mode setting for accurate drilling.
- Dual speed feature for optimal performance.
- Beside lifetime tool warranty, its battery ( 2 years ) and charger ( 1 year ) have also a separate warranty.
For simple replacement of bit from the tool, it comes with a key-less chuck of half-inch. Also, its battery is of slide-style type due to which you will get a slim handle with a better grip.
Along with a carry case, this package also comes with a double-sided driver bit ( from Philips brand ). This double-sided driver bit is made with heavy-duty, high-grade steel which can easily withstand high torque output. Due to its 2 tips in a single bit, its life gets extended.
It comes with:
- A lifetime Tool Warranty,
- 2-Year Warranty On Battery, &
- 1-Year Warranty On Charger.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. 23 clutch settings ( 22 for driving & 1 for drilling ).||1. Power not enough for heavy-duty jobs.|
|2. It has a high torque ( 400 in-lbs ).||2. Motor speed is not enough ( only 1250 RPM ).|
|3. LED lights on the base of the tool.||3. Charger stops working after 4~5 months.|
|4. Batteries hold the charge for a long period of time.|
|5. Dual-speed range (0~450 & 0~1250 RPM).|
|6. Comes with a dual end driver bit.|
|7. Includes two batteries, charger & a hard case.|
10. Skil DL527502 – Top Cordless Drill From SkilIf you are looking for a cordless drill from Skil with longer battery life, which is best for daily needs like screw tightening & drilling, then you can go for it.
This 4 lbs 20-volt Skil DL527502 cordless drill comes with a motor with dual speed settings, i.e. 0 to 420 RPM & 0 to 1450 RPM, which produces a torque of 350 ft/lbs. Its motor is powered by a powerful 20-volt, 2-Ah lithium-ion battery ( included ). The battery has a longer runtime, as well as longer life because the cells which are present in the battery are covered with a cooling material.
Features in this Skil DL527502 drill which impressed me are:
- Of course, its cell cooling technology for better battery life.
- The LED light is located on the base of the tool to eliminate casting shadow problems.
- LED light remains on for few seconds after turning it off.
- Its fuel gauge to check power remaining in the battery.
- You will never get out of your driving direction due to its forward-reverse LED indicator.
This tool has 17 plus 1 clutch settings, in which 1 is especially for drilling and others for driving purpose. Also, it has a keyless chuck of half-inch ( for simple replacement of bit ) with auto spindle lock feature. This feature locks the chuck and the bit when you release the speed control trigger of the cordless drill. Due to this, we can use the tool like a manual screwdriver. Another feature of this automatic spindle lock is that your tool will never go too far into the material surface while driving.
Skil DL527502 drill comes with a Limited Warranty of 5-Year.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. 17+1 clutch settings ( 17 for driving & 1 for drilling ).||1. No inbuilt USB into the battery and no inbuilt bit holder.|
|2. It has an auto spindle lock feature.||2. The speed of the motor is not enough ( only 1450 RPM ).|
|3. LED lights located on the base of the tool.||3. Only one battery is included.|
|4. Longer life & runtime batteries due to its cell cooling feature.|
|5. Dual-speed range motor (0~420 & 0~1450 RPM) for driving & drilling purpose.|
|6. Comes with a double end bit of 2-inch & belt clip.|
|7. Low charging time.|
11. Ryobi P208 One+ | Top Cordless Drill/Driver From RyobiIf you are a DIY-er or a professional and you already have a Ryobi battery & charger then this tool is cheap & best for you.
This 2.8 pound 18-volts Ryobi P208 One+ cordless drill comes with a dual speed motor, i.e. 0 to 440 RPM & 0 to 0 to 1600 RPM which produces a torque of 350 in-lbs. The higher speed is usually used for drilling tasks and smaller speed for screw driving tasks.
Four things which I like in this cordless drill are:
- Key-less chuck of half-inch with automatic spindle lock feature. This means you can easily replace its bits.
- It has a magnetic tray, so you can store your extra drill/driver bits and work without any fear of losing bits.
- This tool can work with any Ryobi 18-volt lithium-ion battery or even Ni-Cad battery.
- Head drill bit is attached to the base of this tool.
It has a 24-position clutch setting to adjust the torque according to your needs. This means your working material will not get damaged. To easily work in dark or low-light areas, this tool has an LED light just above the battery area. Its handle grip is made with an anti-slippery material so that you can easily work for a longer period of time without any fatigue. Well, it doesn’t include any batteries but it is still best for the money and in fact, it is cheapest for those who already have a Ryobi cordless drill.
This Ryobi tool comes with:
- A 30-Day Money Back Guarantee, &
- A Year Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty.
You can buy its best battery and charger from here at the best price:
PROS AND CONS:
|1. It has 24 position clutch setting useful for a variety of works.||1. The handle is a little bit smaller.|
|2. Key-less chuck ( 1/2-inch ) with auto spindle lock feature.||2. Longer charging time ( up to 3 hrs ).|
|3. Comes with a magnetic tray.||3. Clutch is less reliable at high settings.|
|4. Compatible with both Li-ion and Ni-Cad Ryobi batteries.||4. No battery and charger included.|
|5. Dual-speed range motor (0~440 & 0~1600 RPM).|
|6. Comes with a Phillips head drill bit.|
|7. Very compact & light.|
|8. LED lights for low-light areas.|
12. Tacklife PCD01B Cordless Drill – New Model|Best From TacklifeIf you are bored with an old branded cordless drill and want to try something different and best, then this is really perfect for you.
This 2.5 pounds Tacklife PCD01B cordless drill comes with a motor with dual speed setting feature, i.e. 0 to 350 RPM & 0 to 1300 RPM which produces a torque up to 239 in-lbs. The motor gets power from its 2000 mAh lithium-ion battery ( included ).
Things which I like in this tool are:
- Comes with 14 sets of bits in which eight are of 50 mm and rest six are of 25 mm.
- It has a metal chuck of 3/8-inch.
- Battery power indicator light.
This Tacklife cordless drill has 19 plus one torque setting in which one of them is especially used for drilling purposes & others for driving. Also, it has an LED light for dark or low-light areas. You can use it if you are a newbie because it has many features and comes with almost all necessary accessories at a very affordable price. Tacklife is a rising star in the field of power tools, they always try to provide all facilities at a great price.
This Tacklife cordless drill comes with a 2-Year Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. It has a 19+1 clutch setting.||1. Bits get loosened sometimes at high settings for hard material.|
|2. Comes with 14 bit-sets.||2. Only one battery is included.|
|3. LED light for low light areas.||3. No magnetic tray.|
|4. It takes less time to charge.|
|5. Dual-speed range motor (0~350 & 0~1300 RPM) for optimal performance.|
|6. Compact & lightweight with perfect handle grip.|
|7. A charger, a battery & carrying case are included.|
|8. All these things are available at a great price.|
13. Dewalt DCF620D2 – Best Cordless Screw GunDo you drive a lot of drywall nails in a day? Then this cordless screw gun is the best solution for your work. It is highly recommended if you are a contractor or renovator.
A screw gun is similar to drill/driver, the only difference is that it has a nose instead of the chuck which is used to drive screws.
This 3.3 pounds Dewalt DCF620D2 20-volt cordless drywall screw gun comes with a powerful brushless motor rotating at 4,400 RPM and it can be used to drive a large number of screws ( up to 2,200 from a single charge ) and install wood deck & fence. The motor is powered by a 20-volt, 2 Ah lithium-ion battery ( included ).
Things which I like in this screw gun are:
- Of course, its powerful brushless motor ( 4,400 RPM ) for maximum runtime.
- It has a trigger lock-on switch to lock-on your screw gun, making the work faster.
- You can easily remove the cone-lock nosecone while maintaining the depth of the screw and also, it is secure to lock on.
It has an angled LED light on the base of this tool so that you can drive all the screws in the correct place while working in low-light areas. The belt hook and its compact design ( 8.7 inches ) make it portable & less user fatigue respectively.
This Dewalt DCF620D2 cordless screw gun comes with:
- A 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee,
- One-Year Free Service, &
- Three-Year Limited Warranty.
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Quiet brushless motor for longer runtime.||1. Sometimes, the clutch doesn’t work properly.|
|2. Trigger lock-on switch.||2. Switch interferes with its optional auto-feeder ( if used )|
|3. Compact and ergonomic design.|
|4. Easily adjustable nose cone.|
|5. Includes two 20V Li-ion batteries and a charger.|
|6. Also, it has a belt clip & a carry bag.|
|7. You have an option to add an auto-feeder.|
|8. Angled LED light on the screw gun base.|
14. Dewalt DCH273B – Best Rotary Hammer Drill For Concrete
If you are looking for a rotary hammer drill that has a power like a corded one so that it can drill wood & concrete easily, then this tool is best for you.
This 5.4 pounds ( without battery ) Dewalt DCH273B cordless hammer drill has a brushless motor with a no-load speed of 1,100 RPM which can hammer concrete up to half-inch at the rate of 4,600 BPM ( Blows Per Minute ). If you are thinking that it is not powerful like a corded hammer drill then you are wrong because it has an impact energy of 2.1 Joules.
Things which I like the most in this cordless hammer drill are:
- You will feel less vibration ( 6.6 meters per second squared ) in your hand while drilling in comparison to others because it has vibration control technology.
- Sometimes bits get jammed while drilling but in this tool, you will not face that problem because it has a factory-set clutch feature which reduces the sudden high torque reactions.
- It is portable due to its retractable hook feature.
It can extract dust easily, making it the best hammer tool for overhead applications. Also, it has a nice ergonomic design which makes it more ideal for overhead applications. Its SDS plus chuck of 1-inch is very useful for larger applications.
This Dewalt cordless hammer drill can be also used to chip the tile by switching it to “Hammer Mode” and inserting the bit. Actually, there are three modes in this tool for different purposes: (a) Hammer, (b) Drill, (c) Hammer plus Drill.
Dewalt DCH273B cordless hammer drill comes with:
- A 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee,
- One-Year Free Service, &
- Three-Year Limited Warranty.
You can buy its battery, charger & SDS+ bits from here:
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Brushless motor for longer durability & runtime.||1. Battery & charger are sold separately.|
|2. It has power like a corded hammer drill.||2. SDS plus bits are expensive ( not included ).|
|3. Active vibration control technology.||3. Lack of power in chipping hammer setting.|
|4. Bits do not get jammed while drilling.|
|5. Dust extraction ready.|
|6. A perfect balance of weight & power.|
|7. It is portable ( can be hooked ).|
|8. One-inch SDS plus chuck is used.|
|9. Comes with 360° slide handle & a rod.|
|10. Its design is very useful for overhead applications.|
|11. Best for hammering concrete.|
15. Dewalt DCD740B Right Angle Drill – Best For Plumbers & ElectriciansIf you are work in very tight spaces then this cordless drill is specially designed for this. If you are a plumber, contractor or electrician then this tool is best for you.
This 3.25 lbs Dewalt DCD740B cordless drill has a motor with dual speed transition feature, i.e. 0 to 650 RPM & 0 to 2000 RPM which generates a power of 360 Unit Watt Out ( UWO ). The motor is powered by a 20-volt Lithium-ion battery ( not included with this pack ). This type of tool is always bent at 90-degrees at its neck so that it can drill holes at super tight spaces.
Things which I like in this Dewalt DCD740B cordless drill are:
- It has a large multi-grip trigger so that you can easily keep it pressed from any position in a tight space area.
- This tool is very compact ( 3.6″ x 4.5″ x 9.5″ ) and lightweight which makes it more ideal for the areas which are hard to reach.
- LED light & belt clip make this tool more helpful in these kinds of places.
- It has a keyless ratcheting chuck of size 3/8-inch to work faster.
As we know that Dewalt always takes care of the handle of their tools. This cordless drill has also an anti-slippery material so that you can work securely and accurately for a longer period of time without any fatigue in your hand.
This tool comes with:
- A 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee,
- One Year Of Free Service, &
- Three Years Of Limited Warranty.
You can purchase its battery and charger here:
PROS AND CONS:
|1. Dual speed range motor.||1. No battery power indicator.|
|2. A large multi-grip trigger.||2. Battery & charger not included.|
|3. Compact and ergonomic design.||3. The chuck is made up of plastic.|
|4. Best for super tight spaces.|
|5. Includes two 20V Li-ion batteries and a charger.|
|6. Also, it comes with a Phillips bit tip of 2-inches.|
|7. Head length does not get extended due to larger bits.|
|8. It is best for plumbers, electricians & contractors.|
NOTE: While searching for frequently asked questions, I found 2 most asked questions for approx every cordless drill:
- Input Voltage: Many people have asked whether the tool accepts 220-volt or not. My answer for most of the tools is that they accept 110-volts. But you can use a step-down transformer to make 220 V to 110 V. Only Tacklife PCD01B cordless drill in this list accepts 220-volts.
- Drilling Material: Second most asked question is whether a normal cordless drill can make a hole in a concrete/metal block or not. My recommendation is to buy a separate hammer drill for concrete blocks. Well, you can use all the drills mentioned in this list for drilling concrete ( except Tacklife PCD01B cordless drill ), but it will reduce its lifetime & runtime both.
Cordless Drill 2020 – Buyer’s Guide
Well, I hope you will get a lot of knowledge about some top cordless drills available in the market after reading my article. But I know that it is still difficult to choose the perfect cordless drill even after knowing about functionalities of all these tools because we are not clear what good qualities should our cordless drill must contain. Don’t panic, I have written everything about it: what is necessary and what is not…
Everything You Need To Know About Cordless Drill/Driver:
There are various cordless drills designed for different purposes like normal drilling/driving drills for home projects, DIY-ers, hobbyist, plumbers, or for heavy-duty work like hammering or making holes in concrete blocks. Let’s talk about these cordless drill types in short:
- Drill/Driver Cordless Drill: In my list of top 15 cordless drills, you will get drill/driver type drills most because it is the most popular one and most commonly used by everyone. It can be used for both drilling and driving purpose.
- Impact Driver: Actually, drills and impact drivers have the same functionalities. The difference is that impact driver is used when there is the need for more torque, for example, it is used in driving long screws in dense material. There is very less chance of screw stripping. Also, it easily reaches in tight areas due to its compact size and feels less fatigue. My recommendation is to go for a combo pack of drill and impact driver ( mentioned in the 5th position of the list ) because it will cost you less in comparison to buying them separately, and also these two are must-have tools for any DIY-er’s garage.
- Screwgun: As the name suggests, it is used for driving a large number of screws or nails. It is mostly used by contractors or renovators who drives a lot of drywall nails in a day or do wood decking and fencing installation. Well, it is similar to drills but it specially made for driving 3000~5000 nails per day in drywall.
- Right Angle Drill: There is nothing much fancy about this tool. It is just a normal cordless drill whose neck is bent at 90-degrees, making it suitable for working in tight space areas. It is generally used by plumbers, electricians or cabinet makers due to its compact design.
- Rotary Hammer Drill: This drill is beast in terms of hammering or making holes in hard concrete blocks. It is the advanced version of the hammer drill. “Just want to clear that hammer drill and rotary hammer drill are two different types”. I am discussing cordless rotary hammer drill because it is used more by the professionals nowadays in comparison to hammer drill as it has extra features and more powerful, perfect for heavy-duty jobs. This tool comes with two options, hammer mode & chisel mode. You can switch between these two modes according to your needs.
My Recommendation: Lithium-ion Battery.
Let me explain to you the difference between Li-ion & NiCad batteries:
- Li-ion batteries have long-lasting life in comparison to Ni-Cad one because they don’t get dead if kept unused for a period of time,
- The Li-ion battery gets charged quickly ( more energy density ), from 20 minutes to 2 hours ( depending upon the battery & charger type ), while Ni-Cad takes more time ( Less energy density ).
- People avoid Ni-Cad batteries because it contains toxic chemicals while Li-ion does not.
- Li-ion batteries are lighter in weight as compared to Ni-Cad, thus reducing the fatigue.
NOTE 1: Don’t forget to check whether you are getting the battery and charger with the tool or not. Bytheway, I have already mentioned about it, below the product. So, don’t worry if you have read my article.
NOTE 2: Also, don’t forget to check the capacity of the battery because it will decide how long will your cordless drill run.
Voltage is directly proportional to power and cost. This means that the cordless drill which has high voltage, will have more power and also, the price will increase according to that. If you do a lighter task then even 12-volt will be sufficient for you. 18 to 20 volts will be best for heavy-duty tasks or for those who use it daily for their work.
Torque is actually the rotary turning force of the cordless drill. So, buy the cordless drill which has higher torque if you want to drill tough materials because only high rotation speed will not be sufficient for this. But, if you use the cordless drill for making normal holes, then there is no need for higher torque. Torque can be measured in inch per pounds ( in-lbs ) or Newton-metre ( Nm ) or feet per pound ( ft-lbs ).
Of course, dual speed because you will need low speed for driving screws and high speed for drilling holes. If you will dive the screw at a higher speed then it may get stripped or may not properly insert with the material. That’s why I mentioned above that high torque is also necessary. ( High torque + Low-speed setting ) is a great combination for driving screws. But, if you want to drill a hole then you will need a high-speed setting. So, separate cordless drill/driver for both purpose will cost you more. That’s why it is good to spend a little bit more and buy a cordless drill with dual speed setting which may usually range from 0 to 300 RPM and 0 to 800 RPM ( Rotations Per Minute ). Some branded best cordless drill may range up to 1600 ( for higher speed setting ).
Short Answer: 3/8 inches or 1/2 inches.
Actually, Chuck is used for holding the rotating bits securely in the right place without any wobble. So, it will be beneficial to have a larger size chuck because it can hold larger bits which is useful for heavy-duty tasks.
Also, you should look for a metal keyless chuck because it doesn’t require any key to loosen or tighten it. So, no headache of losing the drill bits.
To be honest, there is no fixed value for this. It all depends on you which size is suitable for your hands. The cordless drill should be lightweight so that you can work for a long period of time, but the problem is when you buy a powerful cordless drill with longer battery life then you will have to compromise with its weight and size. In simple words, the weight is directly proportional to voltage. That’s why, in the above section, I recommended to buy a lithium-ion battery because it is lighter in weight.
Generally, the handle has T or C-shape. T-shape handle prevents the cordless drill from slipping because it has a battery at the bottom. C-shape or pistol-shaped handle helps you to do some heavy-duty tasks because you can put the extra weight behind the cordless drill.
Nowadays, most of the best cordless drills come with anti-slippery material on the handle and have an ergonomic design. So, don’t buy any cheap drills which have a low quality plastic handle, if you have any heavy-duty task or you use it approx daily.
Most of the people don’t think about this important thing, i.e. working material. Think a little bit before buying any cordless drill, like which type of material you will use for drilling or driving. For example, A 12-volt cordless drill is enough for small home tasks but if you are drilling large holes or any holes in tough materials then you will have to go for 18~20 volts. There are special drills like hammer drills if you drill holes in tough materials like stone, concrete or bricks. They are heavy and powerful with more impact energy.
The answer is simple: Who needs an annoying cord with any tool? No one. A long cord means less power and it struggles in the tight space area while cordless drill performs well in these areas with more power. Well, a corded drill is good only at two things: Cheaper & Lightweight. Corded drills are cheaper because they do not contain any battery, thus making it lightweight too. So, this factor also totally depends on you, how much priority you give to mobility in your work. If the priority is high then go for cordless drill otherwise go for corded one.
Accessories are not an important factor while buying a cordless drill but it can be a bonus for you if you get it. Some cordless drill comes with a drill bit kit, belt clip, batteries, charger, & carry bag. I will suggest you go for a cordless drill which must come with at least 2 batteries & a charger.
Some best cordless drills come with extra features like variable speed settings, torque setting, LED light and fuel gauge. Variable speed settings help in driving screws ( low speed ) and drilling holes ( high speed ). Torque setting prevents the screws from stripping. The LED light helps you to drill/drive in low-light or dark areas while fuel gauge indicates how much power is remaining in the drill.
If you use a cordless drill a lot or use it for heavy-duty tasks then must go for a brushless motor drill. Let me explain you the benefits of brushless motor:
- Cordless drill with no brushes produces less heat due to less wear and tear ( friction ) because there are very less moving parts in the tool, unlike motor with the brush.
- Brushless motor uses battery power according to the needs. It will use more power of the battery for high-duty tasks and less power for lighter tasks. But, the motor with brush draws the same power of the battery for all types of tasks.
- The battery of the cordless drill which has a brushless motor lasts longer due to the above reason, i.e. longer runtime + longer lifetime.
The only demerit of the brushless motor is that it makes any tool little bit expensive in comparison to the motor having the brush.
The competition is high, so it is difficult to tell which one is the best. Some new cordless drills such as Tacklife are also impressing and giving some competition to others. Tacklife is mainly popular for its more features at a cheap price. Bytheway, let’s make a list of some popular brands according to their popularity:
- Black & Decker: This brand is one of the oldest and largest producers of cordless drills. Black & Decker is very popular in terms of cordless drills.
- Dewalt: I think everyone knows this popular brand. This company is ruling over almost every power tools like wood routers, router table, jigsaw, miter saws and more. They are known for their quality, tough built-in, & long-lasting ability. Dewalt is also famous for its warranty period. They provide 90-day money-back guarantee, one-year free service and three years of limited warranty on almost every tool.
- Bosch: After Dewalt, Bosch is the most popular brand famous for manufacturing power tools. Bosch tools can be found in almost every hardware store of almost every country. They are famous for making great designs for the power tool. Their Bosch PS31-2A cordless drill which I have mentioned in the list at number 4 is also a best cordless drill with great design and also very small & compact. They have specially designed this cordless drill for electricians or plumbers so that they can work easily in tight space areas.
- Milwaukee: It is also a good company which makes powerful tools. I specially mentioned this brand after Bosch because they always try to include some unique or different technology. For example, Milwaukee M12 12 V 2407-20 cordless drill ( mentioned at 6th position in the list ) uses a special REDLITHIUM battery. This battery holds the charge up to 500 days, charges fast and it has a technology to prevent overcharging for longer battery life.
- Ryobi: This brand is an emerging power tool manufacturer which try to provide power tools at the lowest price. Well, I was not so much impressed with the other Ryobi power tools but here, I mentioned this brand after Milwaukee because its cordless drills are really great at a cheaper rate. I have mentioned a Ryobi P208 One+ cordless drill at number 11 in the list. The special thing about this Ryobi P208 One+ drill is that it fits with any 18-volt Ryobi batteries which is a unique feature.
- Tacklife: You might have heard about this name. Many people don’t know this name because it is new in the market but it has impressed many people by providing many features along with many accessories at a cheaper rate. I have mentioned a Tacklife PCD01B cordless drill at number 12 in the list. This drill has some good features at a great price along with 14 sets of bits. I don’t think any other brand provides these type of features and accessories at this price.
Here, I have made a simple infographic for you. If you want to know more then click on it: