For assuring perfection in any task, it is better to do it yourself. This common expression stands perfect when you are looking forward to have a structure in your backyard for storing the garden tools or as shelter for domestic animals or simply as a workshop or personal use. This single floor covered structure is termed as shed and the other popular names for this are outbuilding, outhouse etc. The variation in sizes of shed depends on the intended purpose. This is the reason why size of storage sheds is small while the farm and industrial sheds are large in size based on the goods volume that will be stored in them.
Different materials like metals, wood and plastic are used for making sheds while their construction type includes plastic sheathing, metal sheathing etc.
If you are also looking forward to build a shed and are searching for best shed building plans then we are here with this guide to help you in the process. You will find several ways to build a shed, different shed building plans etc. in this beginners guide.
Before starting it, let me show you about these cool shed plans by Ryan. With these plans you will get some free bonus like:
- Advance Woodworking Tips: Ideas, plans and tips for beginners & experienced craftsmen.
- Magic Modification E-book: It will teach you how to modify dimensions of any shed of your own choice.
- 400 Free Woodworking Plans: Almost every project covered with clear diagrams & step by step instructions in detail.
- Directory Of Suppliers: You will get a complete directory of woodworking suppliers and wholesalers which is updated every month.
Short Summary Table
- Different shed building plans:
- Simple steps to build a shed:
- Do You Want To Build These Beautiful Sheds?
- The Storage Sheds Available On Amazon:
Different shed building plans:
1. Tiny Domestic sheds:
Tiny Domestic sheds are the cheapest and simplest sheds that could be assembled easily by regular people even when they do not have primary construction knowledge. Wooden and plastic sheds are the most popular forms of these sheds that are best for storing tractors, garden tools, agricultural chemicals and gasoline that are not safe to store indoor.
2. Huge domestic sheds:
In comparison to the small domestic sheds, these are more expensive and their working space is also large. Some people also use them as outdoor offices that could be customized with addition of benches, ventilation system, lighting etc.
Whether the wood is untreated or treated, it is prone to decomposition when exposed to exterior elements. This makes it important to follow the fundamentals for preserving exterior wood.
Quality of wood:
Being a structure in outdoors, the shed encounters different weather elements including rain, sunshine, wind, snow and other factors like moulds and insects. For this reason, it is important to select the wood that can resist fading, deforming, dampness and pets. You can go for heartwood since it can resist unkind conditions. The wood species recommended for shed building plans are Cyprus, Cedar and Redwood. Thoroughly check the wood before buying it to make sure that is well processed.
To avoid shrinkage after you buy the wood, be careful of wet wood. The universal form of outdoor wood is one that is pressure treated and comprise of fir and pine.
It is of two types: natural and unnatural. In the former case, purpose of stains is enhancing wood beauty while the latter include activities such as painting wood. Frequent maintenance is needed in natural since they last for 2 years while unnatural and endure for 8 years without any maintenance.
Get Your Free 12 x 8 Shed Plans With Blueprints, Illustrations, & Step-By-Step Details Just By Subscribing To The Newletter Below:
Simple steps to build a shed:
Sunken pillar, concrete slab and wood skid are the three common forms of shed foundation.
Excavate the construction site for adding a 4 in layer of suited gravel and thoroughly pack it for ensuring proper leveling. To avoid the issue of water clogging, try to find peak point of garden for building the shed.
At 144 in., cut 3 four by four pressure treated skids of timber, level and arrange them on gravel bed.
Level and set all the 4 skids to make sure that each side is staked for support after it is built.
On top of these skids, place the floor frame and for assuring that it is square in shape all you need to do is to measure the diagonals. Then install the metal clip at each joist next to the exterior slips with the help of 16d galv. common nails and joist hanger nails of 11/2 in. Make use of 16d galv. nails to toenail joist with center skid.
For sheathing purpose, install the groove and tongue beginning at the frame corner with full sheet. Use angles for securing joists to the outer skids. Raise and frame the walls and at corner studs and fasten together the adjacent walls.
The tools that you will need to efficiently complete this task are:
- Work gloves for protecting hands from small objects that might hurt
- Electric drill with multiple attachments
- Claw hammer for driving nail in wood and removing unwanted nails
- Pencil of carpenter for marking wood with significant measurements
- Jab saw for cutting small unwanted objects present in the building material
- Group of fasteners including screws and nails
- C clamps to tightly fasten objects for preventing separation
- Measuring tape
- A level
Shed building plans:
After preparing the concrete, join sole plates together with anchor plates that are protruding out from foundation. Make use of measuring tape and carpenter’s pencil to mark points for placing studs with proper measurement. Make sure to utilize a different color marker for marking the meeting point of mudsill and anchor. Place the studs at marked points and drive galvanized nails through marked areas till they reach bottom of stud. Then place them across opposite end at top plate and secure with the help of screws and nails.
In this step, set the walls on anchor bolts. Check alignment of walls using Pythagoras theorem since you are already having measurements. Double check everything to ensure that all things are as per plan. After being double sure, secure the anchor bolts using nuts and washers. In case any space is left in corners, use fillers to fill it for ensuring safety. Enhance structure stability with the help of extra measured boards to double top plates. With this, the structure will be able to properly withstand roof pressure after installation.
Being a beginner, you should go for simple structure of roof for avoiding frustrations of complex structures. They are time consuming and demand great skills as well. For plain roof structure, simple rafters will serve the purpose. Take same size and length boards and place them at approximately 12-15 inches intervals along with the top plate’s length. It is recommended that you use rafter of smaller size in comparison to ridge board. As per your demand, you can have either gentle or steep roof slope. However, do not forget that it is a bit complex to work on steeper slope but it helps in enhancing shed volume. This is the reason why it is commonly found in several free garden shed plans.
For ensuring better compatibility of roof frame with remaining structure, cut the common rafters to ensure that it congregates the ridge board. Cut the rafters perpendicularly to ensure their smooth fit into each other.
Finishing the roof:
Take first two rafters and secure them with the help of screw or nail to ridge board’s first end. Repeat this process with its opposite end as well. Ensure smooth running of the process and mount the remaining rafters in the positions encoded for them. After mounting all the rafters, have a look at the overall progress of completed work so far.
Installation of the doors:
Once your intended remarkable structure is complete, proceed towards next step that is door preparation. Getting a door from nearest seller is the easiest possible way for door mounting. However, the problem is that, the seller will have doors that are of fixed sizes only. The fit of these doors might not be in accordance to the door size that you have set in your frame. So make sure to make proper measurements on door frame if you are planning to buy the door. Remember that door mounting will make the overall frame of shed to dispose of one of the columns of support and this can be unsafe. For balancing this aspect, you can go for a door having strong header so that it can easily support the heavyweight.
Note: It is suggested that you go for the door frame that is about half an inch bigger in comparison to the door so as to assure easy fitting. With this, you will also be able to give a room in the shed for fresh airflow.
These are the basic steps that help to complete your structure. Modifications are possible for shed interiors as per the way in which you use it. You can also add shelves in it by mounting them on structure of the walls. When you build a shed, its storage capacity is also enhanced with the addition of shelves.
Also, it is important to add your shed with lighting system so that you can use it without any hassle even when it is dark outside. You can also consider the free garden shed plans for better ideas. So follow these simple steps of shed building plans for a desired structure in your backyard.
Do You Want To Build These Beautiful Sheds?
If Yes, then Check Ryan’s 12,000 Shed Plans
“ There are some ready-made storage sheds available on Amazon, which you can directly assemble in your yard. Let’s see the 15 top-rated storage sheds along with their features ”
The Storage Sheds Available On Amazon:
- 【Sturdy and durable】8'x 10' outdoor storage shed is made of high-quality powder-coated galvanized steel, which is durable. Including floor frame.
- 【Efficient design】The sloping roof increases storage space, prevents rainwater from accumulating, prevents the shed from rusting, and keeps the tools dry in rainy days. Sliding doors increase operability and facilitate entry and exit
- 【Good ventilation】 The shed is equipped with 2 sliding doors and 4 vents to ensure sufficient ventilation. By reducing the accumulation of moisture in the house, it can prevent the shed from getting moldy in hot or humid weather.
- 【Sufficient storage space】 It has a wide range of uses and is very suitable for storing things in the backyard. Such as lawn mowers, outdoor chairs, umbrellas, fire pits and other small yard items. It can also be used as a carport for certain vehicles, such as bicycles, skateboards, etc.
- 【Convenient assembly】Our company will provide the necessary hardware and all parts (all parts are numbered, pre-cut and drilled),you will be able to complete the assembly work accurately with the instructions. It is recommended to use gloves when installing.（Two pairs of gloves are provided with the package）
- Ideal for storing large outdoor equipment and tools
- Roughneck's tough, double-walled construction and an impact-resistant floor protects items from inclement weather, moisture, and sun-damage
- Will not rust or rot, unlike metal or wood sheds
- 2 windows allow light in, plus rear vent for air circulation
- Lockable for added security (lock sold separately)
- Dual-Wall High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Construction | Sturdy Steel-Reinforced Construction
- Note that a foundation is required for the installation of this item | Door can be installed to opened either left or right | Door opening – 56.4” W x 75.6” H | Rated for winds up to – 65 mph
- Product dimensions | Exterior – 180” W x 96” D x 94.8” H | Interior – 170.4” W x 90” D x 71.4” H | Windows (Two) – 16.5” W x 16.5” H | Fascia Height – 1.25” | Eave Depth – 2” | Exterior roof – 180” x 96” | Truss to floor – 80.4”
- Slip-Resistant High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Floor Protects Against Oil, Solvents, and Stains | Steep angle allows for quick drainage of rain and snow
- UV-protected to help prevent fading and cracking. Stain-resistant exterior never needs painting | Heavy-Duty Steel Trusses Provide Additional Roof Strength
- Storage building exterior Dimensions: 180 in. L x 96 in. W x 96 in. H; Interior Dimensions: 174 in. L x 90 in. W x 70 - 94 in. H
- Customizable shelving and storage system
- Heavy-duty steel trusses provide additional roof strength
- Sturdy steel-reinforced dual-wall High-Density polyethylene (HDPE) construction
- Low maintenance design; lockable steel-reinforced doors for added security
- Storage Shed dimensions – 55” W x 52” D x 77” H | Interior dimensions – 52” W x 48” D x 72” H | Do not exceed 50 lbs. per wall panel
- Leak-resistant, dent-resistant, weather-resistant. Storage Capacity (cubic feet)-127.442
- Easy to assemble. Extra deep fit for large, hard to store items
- Heavy duty, impact resistant floor included | Lockable (lock not included)
- Use Rubbermaid wall anchors to add pegboard, shelves and other organizational accessories to the inside of the shed
- DIMENSIONS: Exterior: 101 in. W x 71.5 in. D x 95.5 in. H / Interior: 93 in. W x 64 in. D x 94 in. H
- LARGE STORAGE: 285 cubic ft. capacity
- RESIN CONSTRUCTION: Made from polypropylene resin plastic & steel reinforcement to ensure its durability
- DURABLE: Weather-resistant, waterproof and UV protected - will not peel, rot or rust
- LIGHT & AIRY: Skylight to let in natural light & vented for air circulation. Zero Maintenance
- Attractive Appearance and Design
- Dual-Wall High-Density Polyethylene and Sturdy Steel Reinforced Construction
- Customizable Shelving and Storage System
- Heavy-Duty Steel Trusses Provide Additional Roof Strength
- High-Pitched Roof Allows for Quick Drainage of Rain and Snow
- 【Upgrade Your Yard】: This 2-tone grey 8x6 storage shed with a pitched roof gives you a fantastic, stylish, and durable storage solution. Potting around the shed, do organic gardening, or meeting the outdoor storage needs, perfectly organizer in your backyard, patio.
- 【Spacious Layout】: The outdoor storage shed, 385.37 cubic feet (storage capacity), high gable roof for added headroom, plus extra walk around space, perfectly designed for storing outdoor furniture, lawn tool storage, lawnmowers, bicycles, wheelbarrows, and potting/gardening equipment.
- 【Durable Construction】: Steel storage shed features electro-galvanized steel treated for strong corrosion-resistance, UV-resistant and moisture-proof. Worry-free for all weather conditions and an all-year use. A Gable roof prevents rain-collection and rust-resistant.
- 【Vents for Airflow】: 4 built-in vents at its peak, as well as a double sliding door, increase both air circulating and light, preventing from sweltering in summer and trembling in winter. Extra-wide reinforced swing doors ensure it smooth slide and easy-to-open.
- 【Assembly Required】: The walk-in metal shed will be delivered by 2 parcels. The protective film on the surface of the wall is effective to prevent it from being scratched during transport and assembly. All panels and parts are marked labels. The Vertical galvanized panel is sturdy and easily installed with pegboards, shelving, and racking using. (Not included)
- 🏡【Durable & Sturdy Storage Sheds】: Durable construction with galvanized steel reinforcement makes this durable shed rustproof and UV-resistant. Overlapped wall panels features with waterproof and moister-resistant, worry-free for all weather condition use.
- 🏡【Sloped Roof & Lockable Door】: This outdoor storage shed with inclined slope roof, add extra storage and prevents rain water from gathering and preventing from rust. Pad-lockable doors give easy access to your stored items and enhance the safety.
- 🏡【Utility Tool Shed】Storage sheds large size storage tool, which is suitable for multi-purpose use, perfect for outdoor backyard, garden, patio, utility tool house. The protective film on the surface can prevent from being scratched.
- 🏡【Upgrade Your Backyard】:This outdoor storage shed with a gable-styled roof provides an extra storage space to hide your yard waste and large equipment, helping avoid clutter in your yard, basement, or garage.
- 🏡【Easy to Assemble】All parts of the storage shed has stuck a part number label, with a step-by-step manua. We provide 24 hours customer for any problem or question, please feel free to contact us when you are free.
- STORAGE: Rubbermaid outdoor storage shed features 332 cubic feet, 2 windows, that can fit a riding mower and many other outdoor tools
- DURABILITY: Double-wall resin construction provides resistance to leaks, dents, and weather
- ORGANIZATION: Wall-anchor system allows easy installation of shelving, pegboard and other accessories (sold separately) to help keep your belongings organized
- SECURITY: Lockable for added security (lock not included)
- SIZE: Dimensions (L x W x H): 81 x 81 x 100 inches
- Built from electrogalvanized steel for corrosion resistance
- Will not wear due to insects, heat, sunlight or rot
- Arrow wood grain design along with horizontal plank design simulates the look of real wood
- Extra tall 71" wall provides extra headroom and increased storage
- 734 cubic feet of storage
- Features- 6 small skylights, 2 shatterproof polycarbonate windows, 2 screened vents, 2 decorative shutters, 2 peg strips, 2 90" x 9" shelves, 4 corner shelves.
- Exterior Dimensions: 15 ft. W x 8 ft. D x 7 ft. 10.8 in. H
- Interior Dimensions- 90" W x 174" D x 70-94" H
- Low maintenance; constructed of dual wall UV protected High Density Polyethylene with steel wall supports
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Patented SNAPTiTE assembly system and pre-drilled holes allow for faster assembly and 75% less screws
- Wide double hinged doors make getting larger items in and out a breeze
- Rib wall construction provides additional strength
- 30 Gauge galvanized steel is maintenance free and rust resistant
- Labeled parts for easy identification and assembly
- 💝【Perfect for Your Needs】ADDOK vertical storage shed is made of all weather-resistant resin which is perfect for outdoor storage. The shed also can be locked to keep your tools safe. No matter you put it indoor or outdoor, it will be perfect for store garden tools, BBQ grills, firewood,seat cushions, kids toys, kid's bikes and two - 32Gal trash cans , garden accessories and so on.
- 🔩【Easy to Install and Use】Please install according to the instructions, it’s easy to assemble and use. It’s a good idea to got this storage shed to enhance your outdoor living space and reduce mess and save room in patio, garden, backyard, living room, swimming pool.
- 📏【Ideal Size】External Dimension: 50 in. L x 29 in. W x 82 in. H /Internal dimension: 46 in. L x 25.2 in. W x 77 in. H Generous storage capacity of 53 cubic feet, enough room for baby bike, lawnmower, trash cans, patio accessories, please check before purchase if for bulky goods storage.
- 👍【Focus on Quality】All material we made ADDOK vertical storage shed is environmental friendly. Compared with tradition PVC material we made with double layer HDPE resin panels uv-resistant which has no odor, won't rust, decay and needn't virtually maintenance and durable that will last for years.
- 💌【Shelves Sold Separately】If any question of your storage unit please contact us, we will deal with it within 24hours. The laminate of the shed is not included in the package. If you need matching laminate, please buy it separately in our store.
- 【Material】Galvanized steel in finish for long-lasting use. The 2 sliding doors allow easy access to store your tools, garden supplies, lawn mower, grill equipment, fire pit and other yard items.
- 【Sloped Roof】Shed roof is sloped, add extra storage and prevents rain water from gathering and preventing shed from rust.
- 【Vents for Airflow】This outdoor storage shed is equipped with vents for ample airflow. This thoughtful design can prevent the shed from becoming musty during hot and humid weather.
- 【Ample Storage Space】Perfect for storing items from backyard. Great for your snow blower, lawn mower, outdoor chairs, umbrella, fire pit, and other small yard items. It can be also used as a shed for some of your vehicles such as bikes, skateboards and so on.
- 【Assembly is Required】Come in 2 boxes. Easy to assemble with pre-cut panels, marked numbers, and pre-drilled holes. You can also use your own suitable tool to install it to make it easier. If there is any missing parts or quality problem, please contact with us firstly, we will reply you with 24 hours and try our best to provide a satisfactory solution for you.
Last update on 2021-09-16 at 22:32 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here are some helpful videos for you:
- How to assemble the Lifetime Storage Shed –
- How to assemble the Suncast Storage Shed –
If you are reading this article then you may also like article on some power tools and garden tools like chainsaw, miter saw, jigsaw, scroll saw, wood router, router table, & weed eater. and to store it I have an article on awesome tool bags.
I have written articles on these topics in more than 7000 words. Check it out if you are interested.
Hope, you have liked this mini article. Don’t forget to signup for the newsletter to get your free 12 x 8 shed plan ebook. Also, don’t forget to check Ryans’ 12000 awesome shed plans.
Thanks For Reading,