The grinding machine of benchtop form is termed as Bench grinder using which the abrasive wheels could be driven. The common use of these grinders is for hand grinding several tools of cutting and conducts other grinding tasks. Generally, these grinders are used by fixing them on the worktop, and therefore not much flexibility is there in terms of their portability. Due to this reason, the workpiece is brought near the grinders for operating it accordingly. Grinding wheel’s grade and bond decide whether it could be used for cutting tool sharpening purposes like drill bits, tool bits, gouges, and chisels. Metal could also be given a rough shape with the use of best bench grinders so that they could then be used for fitting or welding purposes.
With so many different uses, this tool serves extremely helpful and therefore is high in demand. However, selecting the best one from the number of available options is not easy. This is the reason why we are here to help in the selection process. Have a look at the best bench grinders and select the one that can best match your demands and serve the application without any hassle.
Bench Grinders Comparison Table
|Best 8-inch bench grinder||Best 8-inch bench grinder No products found.||Dewalt DW758||
|For Commercial-Grade Use||For Commercial-Grade Use No products found.||Jet 577102 JBG||
|Vibration Resistant||Vibration Resistant No products found.||Rikon 80-805||
|Value For The Money||Value For The Money No products found.||WEN 4276||
|Best 6-Inch Bench Grinder||Best 6-Inch Bench Grinder No products found.||Dewalt DW756||
|Comes With Dual Speed Motor||Comes With Dual Speed Motor No products found.||Bucktool TDS-200DS||
|For Basic Home Use||For Basic Home Use No products found.||Skill 3380-01||
|Variable Speed Bench Grinder||Variable Speed Bench Grinder No products found.||Delta 23-197||
|Expensive But Very Powerful||Expensive But Very Powerful No products found.||Metabo DS 200||
|2nd Best Variable Speed Bench Grinder||2nd Best Variable Speed Bench Grinder No products found.||Shop Fox W1840||
|Best Variable Bench Grinder||Best Variable Bench Grinder No products found.||WEN 4280 (Our Favorite)||
The Best Bench Grinders Are:
1. Dewalt DW758 – Best 8-Inch Bench Grinder
No products found.
This is something that could work as a perfect option for both commercial as well as home use. It is a powerful unit from Dewalt that comes with an induction motor of ¾ hp. The DW758 bench grinder from Dewalt is the perfect choice on account of the fact that one can operate it with 3.600 RPM to easily complete any desired application. All these features are available without any sort of consistency or quality compromise. Maintaining this bench grinder is also very easy and it offers durable operation. Motor life is protected by the overload protection.
- Performance: the aluminum tool is precision machined for flexible position work
- Durability: motor life is extended with its overload protection feature
- Operation: material removal could be enjoyed at high speed with its 3,600 RPM motor
- Applications: longer and larger grinding operations could be performed with its wheels that remain 12-1/2” apart from one another
|1. Perfect RPM for varied application.||1. Excess vibration.|
|2. Durable operation.||2. Lacks automatic break.|
|3. ¾ hp induction motor.|
|4. Adjustable tool free guards.|
|5. Rugged base of cast iron.|
2. Jet 577102 JBG – For Heavy-Duty Grinding Work
No products found.
This device is of high quality, large scale, and made to serve the uses of industrial grade. This feature makes the bench grinder a perfect option for several commercial-grade applications. The motor of 1 hp powers this bench grinder of 8-inch with nice 3450 RPM that can easily take care of most of the grinding work of heavy-duty. Vibration is surprisingly low even when the motor of this device is extremely powerful. It can take care of a wide range of applications being the grinder of 8-inch heavy-duty grinding capable power.
- Powerful: this bench grinder o 8-inch offers power best for several industrial grade operations
- Design: it comes with dust vents and wheel guards of cast iron for optimum protection
- Ease: the device offers spark guards that are quick-adjusting with single device for user convenience
- Strong: the design of this device is made to withstand the high volume and heavy-duty demands with flawless outcomes
|1. Powerful operation.||1. Wobbling in wheels.|
|2. Durable device.||2. Lacks standard worklight.|
|3. Spark guard is quick adjusting.|
|4. Tool rests is adjustable.|
|5. Wheels for vitrified grinding.|
3. Rikon Professional 80-805 Bench Grinder – Protects From Vibration
No products found.
This is a slow speed powerful grinder that is unbeatable in this category. The bench grinder comes with ½ hp powerful motor to conveniently take care of the desired applications. The temperature at the time of operation remains minimum on the account of wheels of white aluminum oxide and low temperature and motor of slow speed. with this, the fatigue is reduced on the grinder as well as the tool.
- Safe product: cast iron made grinders assure the best quality while the rubber feet make it free from vibration
- Quality: this bench grinder comes with wheels of aluminum oxide and serves durable as well with finest built
- Adjustable: the grinder is slow speed and comes with spark resistors and eye shield to offer the user with ease and safety
- Powerful: it comes with 1750 RPM and strong motor of ½ hp to offer sufficient power for carpenters and small workshops
|1. 1 ½” CBN wheels.||1. Tool rests has poor design.|
|2. Perfect tool for lengthy grinding.||2. Takes high power.|
|3. No vibration for convenient operation.|
|4. Safety shield comes with adjustable features.|
|5. Performs slow speed tasks for best results.|
4. WEN 4276 – Best Bench Grinder For The Money
No products found.
If you are looking for the bench grinder that not just performs as per expectations but stands within budget as well then this is the perfect option that you can go for. This bench grinder is simple, popular as well as inexpensive offering the best high speed. it gives a maximum of 3,450 rpm speed and a motor of 2.1 amp. 6-inches grinding wheels are there having ¾ inch distance amid and diameter of 6-inches. Users can also enjoy the precision and convenient work with the help of its work light that is flexible in nature.
- Protection: it comes with eye guards so that user can enjoy the operating the tool without any safety hazards
- String: the bench grinder comes with a sturdy base so that safe mounting is ensured and wobbling is also reduced at the time of operation
- Wheels: for the case of grinding of general-purpose, it make use of wheel of 60-grit and faster removal of material could be attained with the wheel of 36-grit
- Ease: it offers ease of operation to the user with the help of work light that is flexible and therefore accurate sharpening is promoted
|1. Controls are easy.||1. Build quality is not up to the mark.|
|2. Affordable option with several features.||2. More power desired in motor.|
|3. Compact and small bench grinder.|
|4. 6 inch grinding wheel.|
|5. Power consumption 40-watt rating.|
There is also an advanced model of WEN 4276 & that is WEN 4280 (Best Variable Speed Bench Grinder). You can check it here.
5. Dewalt DW756 – Best 6-Inch Bench Grinder
No products found.
This is the bench grinder that is made to offer users with ease and convenience at the time of operation. It comes with a strong induction motor of 5/8 hp at 3,450 high rpm for overall excellent performance and that too at minimum vibration. The wheels come with a sufficient distance of 12.5 inches among them so that the larger and longer projects could be carried out flexibly while enjoying the solid performance.
- Operation: it can efficiently take care of grinding operation that is larger and heavy-duty with the help of its powerful induction motor of 5/8 hp
- Work: the user is able to position the work accurately with its rests of aluminum tool that is precision machined
- Durable: this bench grinder is a durable option on account of the motor housing and base of industrial cast iron
- Power: the powerful motor of this grinder offers material removal at high speed with 3,450 rpm
|1. Easy to mount and use.||1. Tricky to setup.|
|2. Flexible operation.||2. Lacks instruction manual.|
|3. Durable grinder.|
|4. Solid performance.|
|5. Option to add several accessories.|
6. BUCKTOOL Professional TDS-200DS – Versatile Dual Speed Bench Grinder
No products found.
This is the bench grinder that serves as the most reliable option for carpenters, small workshops, carvers, turners, and other hand tool craftspeople. Even the tasks that are most difficult could be taken care of with ease with the help of its reliable nature. The build-up of heat is reduced with the help of its 120 grit and 60 grit oxide wheel having 8 inches large size serving sufficient for most of the users. The motor of 3.1 amp also serves useful for several applications.
- Protection: it offers utmost protection with eye shield of 3 times magnifier that is angle and position adjustable as well so that user can enjoy the precision and flexible grinding
- Precise: the grinding wheel balance could be enhanced with the help of powder metal (machined) made flange
- Speed: it comes with the switch for dual speed with options of 3450 and 1725 rpm
- Ease: user can also enjoy convenient operation with the help of its work rest of cast aluminum for accurate angles and wheel wear
|1. 8 inch grinding wheel.||1. Expensive.|
|2. Compact and small.||2. Wheel quality needs improvement.|
|3. Precision use with several adjustments.|
|4. Stable with base of cast aluminum.|
|5. Silent operating motor.|
7. Skill 3380-01 Bench Grinder – Best For Basic Home Use
No products found.
This is yet another great option in the category of bench grinders, that is known to offer power tools within budget and of good quality. It comes with a wheel size of 6-inch and is perfect for most of the light applications. Not much space is required with this bench grinder at the worksite since it is compact and small in size. The power rating of its motor is 2.1 amp along with a warranty of 3 years. Accuracy could be enjoyed in grinding with its LED work light and wheels with work rest.
- Accuracy: this is the best bench grinder for accurate operation since user get tool rests in each and every wheel of the grinder for accuracy
- Safe: stability and safety are enhanced with its rubber feet base of cast iron for easy mounting and eye shield
- Ease: user convenience is taken care of with its incorporated LED work light over wheels
- Wheels: the wheels are coarse and medium in this bench grinder to meet the demand of several materials
|1. Better stability with rubber feet.||1. Not for heavy duty applications.|
|2. Great strength and build quality.||2. Motor lacks sufficient power.|
|3. Durable and reliable option.|
|4. LED worklights.|
|5. 6 inch compact grinding wheel.|
8. Delta 23-197 – Variable Speed Bench Grinder Under $200
No products found.
This is the perfect bench grinder for you if the search is for a heavy-duty and powerful tool that can serve a wide range of applications. Its grinding wheel is of large size that accounts for the powerful performance of this bench grinder. The electric motor also has similar power with 5 amp rating so that the motor speed of 3400 rpm could be enjoyed by the user. This is a reliable and durable option as well with the great build quality.
- Speed: it comes with a variable control for speed using the speed dial so that the desired option from a range of 2000-3400 rpm could be enjoyed for finest control
- Safety: the bench grinder assures for user safety with clear safety shields of full size and easy adjustments with thumbscrews
- Durable: user can enjoy reduced vibration and durability with the strong base of case iron. The workpiece temperature is maintained while grinding with incorporated water tray
- Power: it comes with an induction motor of 5 amp for powerful and convenient performance
|1. Incorporated water tray.||1. Expensive.|
|2. 3400 rpm motor speed.||2. Grit demands improvement.|
|3. Inbuilt shield.|
|4. Durable option.|
|5. 8 inch grinding wheel.|
9. Metabo DS200 Bench Grinder – Expensive But Very Powerful
No products found.
This bench grinder comes in the category of heavyweight tools but still serves as the preferred option for most of the users. Its build is of high quality and it features protective aluminum covers and study machines. No vibrations are there and operating voice is also very low so that convenient operation is there. Tool sharpening becomes the task of no time with its 3570 rpm and easy and quick setup.
- Power: it comes with a powerful motor to offer the desired level of results that too with smooth operation
- Ease: the bench grinder has a dual push-button for on/off with green and red color on them for easy differentiation so that user can select them easily when needed.
- Durable: the durability of this bench grinder is enhanced with its protective covers of aluminum and sturdy build
- Operation: the bench grinder operates without much wobbling or vibration on account of its weight so that the strain is reduced for the user
|1. Less vibration.||1. Expensive.|
|2. Strong quality build.||2. Heavy product.|
|3. Powerful motor and 3570 rpm.|
|4. Quiet operation.|
|5. Induction motor is maintenance free.|
10. Shop Fox W1840 – Variable Speed Grinder With Very Less Vibration
No products found.
This is the bench grinder of 8 inches that comes with a powerful motor of ¾ hp so that the user can enjoy the desired performance at the time of grinding. The grinding wheels are of dual aluminum oxide for optimum build quality. While grinding, the LED directional work light makes it easy to perform the task with proper light on the workpiece. A wide range of applications of grinding could be easily met with the help of this bench grinder.
- Durable: this is a durable bench grinder with a heavy base of cast iron
- Ease: the vibration of grinder is dampened with the heavy base so that operative strain is reduced for the user and he can enjoy convenient operation
- Power: it comes with powerful ¾ hp heavy-duty induction motor to easily serve the sharpening and grinding operations
- Speed: variable speed dial is there to select from 2000 to 3400 rpm speed adjustments
|1. Durable grinder.||1. Unusually wide motor.|
|2. Less vibration.||2. QC problems.|
|3. Powerful ¾ hp motor.|
|4. Best for heavy duty applications of sharpening and grinding.|
|5. Variable dial for speed.|
11. WEN 4280 – Best Variable Speed Bench Grinder
No products found.
This 41 pounds Wen 4280 bench grinder is our favorite & also the top-rated variable speed bench grinder under $120. It is an advanced model of Wen 4276 ( mentioned at 4th in the list ). It is very versatile, quiet & runs smoothly (very well balanced).
We personally like this grinder because of some key features:
- Motor: We can increase the speed of the motor ( 5 amperes) from 2000 to 3400 RPM without any wobble ( thanks to its strong iron base ).
- Wheels: Like WEN 4280 model, it also has 8-inch wheels but WEN 4280 model has 36 grit & 80 grit grinding wheels that make the work faster.
- Price: We get a lot of features under this price range. If you are a beginner then you should go for it because it is affordable & value for money. And yes, it also includes a light ( actually bulb holder because it doesn’t come with a bulb )
|1. WEN 4280 a quality product in an affordable price.||1. It’s not good for industrial grade work.|
|2. Very Less vibration & quiet.|
|3. Doesn’t wobble due to its sturdy iron base.|
|4. Best for beginners to intermediates.|
|5. Very powerful variable speed motor.|
Frequently Asked Questions On Bench Grinders:
The bench grinder needs to be selected based on the desired application and usage. Some of the important factors that one must consider for the best selection of bench grinders are size of the wheel, speed, and power offered by its motor, its reliability, and durability and the factor of its form and size. All these will help to select the bench grinder that can best match the performance demands.
It depends on the operative demands of the user. If you want the grinder for DIY and home tasks then the 6-inch option will work fine since it offers desired power. For the professionals who conduct industrial applications, the one with an 8-inch wheel is the best option.
There is no such specific reason to have a variable speed bench grinder. It is good if you have one but operations could be carried out even without the variable speed dial in place
WEN 4276 bench grinder stands to be the most affordable option with useful features to meet several applications. Even at a budget-friendly rate, it serves several applications and stands perfect for most of the light applications making it the best choice for DIYers.
WEN models are not just good in their performance but also are good options in terms of price. One can enjoy (especially beginners) the best operation of this model that offers great versatility and performance that worth the price.
Yes, the bench grinders provide the option of variable speed to meet the wide-ranging applications with the desired speed. They can be used with router speed control or frequency variable drive for the purpose of controlling speed.
The best option from Dewalt in terms of bench grinders is the Dewalt DW758 model that stands to be the most preferred option for most of the users. It offers great stability and no hassle is there for wobbling so that convenient operation is enjoyed without much strain. Material removal is also easy and at high speed with its powerful motor.
The task of sharpening the chisel with sandpaper takes much time and especially when the end is rounded over or nicked. For quick metal removal, the best option is to make use of grinders that will serve the demand in less time and efficiently.
A bench grinder is a versatile tool that can serve a wide range of applications with its powerful wheels for grinding. While it is a tool that can be used for grinding, it could also be used for cutting metal objects, removing the rust from the surface, buffing, polishing and sharpening the objects. All these applications could be carried out with bench grinder with proper selection of motor speed and power.
¼ inch is the maximum possible gap that could be there between the grinding wheels of bench grinders. Breaking of wheels might lead to explosion since they operate at extremely high speed and therefore gap selection should be done with care.
Yes, it is possible to make use of bench grinder for the purpose of polishing or sharpening the wood. All this could be achieved with some changes in the wheels of the grinder.
Yes, it is possible to make use of a corded bench grinder for the purpose of cutting and grinding concrete with ease.